News & Tips from an ITIN Acceptance Agent

ITIN Exceptions - Exception 4 - Third-Party Withholding—Disposition by a Foreign Person of U.S. Real

Most ITIN applications require a U.S Federal Tax return attached as part of the W-7 ITIN application process. However there are limited ITIN exceptions where a U.S. Federal Tax return is not required.

If any of the 5 ITIN exceptions apply to you, then you will not need to attach a U.S. Federal Tax return.

Information reporting and/or withholding requirements apply to third parties (frequently banks and other financial institutions) who will request an ITIN to enable them to file information reports that are required by law.

Exception 4 - Third-Party Withholding—Disposition by a Foreign Person of U.S. Real Property Interest

4. A withholding obligation generally is imposed on a buyer or other transferee (withholding agent) when the buyer acquires a U.S. real property interest from a foreign person. In some instances, the foreign person may apply for a withholding certificate to reduce or eliminate withholding on the disposition of real property.

To support the claim that you are eligible to use this exception - If you’re eligible to claim Exception 4, you must submit: A completed Form 8288, or Form 8288-A, and/or Form 8288-B; and A copy of the real estate sales contract. Note: For the seller of the property, copies of the sales contract, and copies of Forms 8288 and 8288-A submitted by the buyer need to be attached to Form W-7.

Note: For all exceptions listed above - Federal tax withholding and/or information reporting must take place within the current tax year.

Do I need an ITIN?

Please refer to our blog post "ITIN Number Application" for further information.

A Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) can assist you in obtaining the correct TIN.

Just Breve are part of the ITIN Acceptance Agent Program. As a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA), we are authorised by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to assist alien individuals and other foreign persons with obtaining ITINs from the IRS by validating the person’s foreign status and identity.

I think I need an ITIN: Please visit here

Contact Us:

Don't live in the U.K? No problem, we can assist by phone, email and Skype. Please feel free to get in touch.

#CertifiedAcceptanceAgent #ITIN #ITINExceptions #ITINNumber #ITINRenewalProcess #W7 #EXP4

We Visit You:


West & Central London
Heathrow | Greater London

We also serve the rest of the United Kingdom (UK) & International (subject to travel costs) including:

Call Just Breve:

T: 0208 1444 632

M: 07725 587696

Our Address: 

The Bower, Ground Floor, Four Roundwood Avenue, Stockley Park, Hayes, Middlesex, UB11 1AF, UK  (by appointment)

  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook - White Circle

We Accept

American Express
China Union Pay
Diners Club
V pay


Visa Electron

Apple Pay

Android Pay

We accept payment in:

GBP, USD and Euro

SKYPE Video calls:


If you are based at a distance or cannot visit us at the office, Skype video calls are available.

Per our license requirements, your ID documents will need to be mailed in before the call. These will be returned securely.

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy

We are United Kingdom Acceptance Agents. View us on »

© Just Breve™ (All Rights Reserved)