News & Tips from an ITIN Acceptance Agent

I received a letter from the IRS (notice CP48) telling me my ITIN will expire January 2021

Just Breve - I received a letter from the IRS (notice CP48) telling me my ITIN will expire January 2021

Due to changes brought about by the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act (PATH Act), ITINs now expire after not filing a tax return at least once in the last 3 years (and will expire at the end of December 31, 2020) OR if the ITIN was issued prior to 2013.

The IRS will normally issue a CP48 notice advising that your ITIN is nearing expiry and requires renewal. In some cases the letter does not arrive and you will only know by a rejected tax return filed for the applicable year of expiry.

How do I know if my ITIN has expired?

The following ITINs with middle digits as shown have already expired:

Middle digits 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, or 87 that expired in 2016, 2017, 2018, or 2019 can also be renewed

ITINs expiring by December 31st, 2020:

All ITINs with the middle digit 88 and those with middle digits 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 or 99, that were assigned before 2013 and have not already been renewed, will also expire at the end of this year.

If you have a tax return that requires filing, it is best to renew BEFORE you file, else there will be further delays in processing (and also fixing the issue later). If you have sent in a tax return already, the return will be processed as timely filed but any exemptions or credits will be disallowed and any refund held, until the ITIN is renewed. The tax return processing unit will write to you advising you as such.

Do I need to renew my ITIN?

You only need to renew if you are filing a US tax return. If you are not filing, then you do not need to renew until you do. Please bear in mind if you do not file every year, going forward, ITINs will expire after 3 years of non consecutive filing of a US tax return.

How can I renew my ITIN from outside the USA?

You can use a certified acceptance agent like Just Breve. We have a license to prepare and certify for ITIN purposes. This means your passport or ID documents stay with you and will not be required to be sent to the US with your Form W-7 application.

Just Breve are a certifying acceptance agent for ITINs - get in touch today and we will be able to assist with your ITIN renewal:

Tel: 0208 1444632







Review our testimonials or Google Reviews

We Visit You:


West & Central London
Heathrow | Greater London

We also serve the rest of the United Kingdom (UK) & International (subject to travel costs) including:

Call Just Breve:

T: 0208 1444 632

M: 07725 587696

Our Address: 

The Bower, Ground Floor, Four Roundwood Avenue, Stockley Park, Hayes, Middlesex, UB11 1AF, UK  (by appointment)

  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook - White Circle

We Accept

American Express
China Union Pay
Diners Club
V pay


Visa Electron

Apple Pay

Android Pay

We accept payment in:

GBP, USD and Euro

SKYPE Video calls:


If you are based at a distance or cannot visit us at the office, Skype video calls are available.

Per our license requirements, your ID documents will need to be mailed in before the call. These will be returned securely.

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy

We are United Kingdom Acceptance Agents. View us on »

© Just Breve™ (All Rights Reserved)