top of page


News & Tips from an ITIN Acceptance Agent

Wage income from the USA - W-2 and 1042-S

Have you worked in the US in 2020, 2019, 2018 or earlier years? Did you work for short periods or less than 183 days?

If yes, you may have overpaid US tax and may be able to reclaim this amount from the IRS by filing a 1040NR US tax return.

You will need to provide the W-2 or 1042-S issued to you so we can check to see if a reclaim of US tax is possible. Once confirmed you will need to file a 1040NR tax return and apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) if you were not issued an SSN while working in the US.

How long will it take to get the refund?

- the ITIN is processed first - in normal times this is 7 to 11 weeks, but in Covid times it is approximately 4 months

- once the ITIN is issued the US 1040NR tax return is forwarded for processing. This will take up to 6 months* plus to be processed and a cheque issued for the refund of tax

- Just Breve are able to check on the status of both the ITIN issuance and the processing of the Tax return after a fixed period of time has elapsed.

* please note due to Covid and higher levels of fraud, the IRS may also delay the refund by requesting an identity check. This takes the form of a written letter to you requesting a phone call. Please advise us and we will provide the steps to complete the verification check.

I don't live in London, can you assist?

Yes Just Breve can assist via email, post and video call (for the ITIN) for all tax returns and ITINs (for any ITIN application we will need to see the physical passport or identity document).

Just Breve is a woman led business based near London Heathrow airport. Just Breve has successfully reclaimed over paid US taxes for hundreds of clients over the years and are experienced in US tax. We will not take you on as a client unless we know we can assist you. All initial calls are free.

T: 0208 1444632

bottom of page