top of page


News & Tips from an ITIN Acceptance Agent

ITIN for US pension

Just Breve - ITIN for US pension
Just Breve - ITIN for US pension

Did you work in the US or for a US employer at an overseas office? Have you inherited a US pension from the US from a deceased US relative?

If the answer is yes, you may need an ITIN for US pension distribution purposes.

If you have never had a Social Security Number (SSN) in the past (which is valid for life) or are not eligible for one by virtue of US residency (visa related), you will be required to obtain an ITIN before you can receive funds from the pension provider. This is because all payments are reported to the IRS and the number will be required by the US payor to do so.

The pension company may send you a Form W-7 and their internal instructions for applying for the number. You need to ensure that both the paperwork is correct and that you have the appropriate certified copy of your passport attached to the application. This is where Just Breve can assist.

As a certifying acceptance agent (CAA), Just Breve has a license to assist non resident individuals to obtain an ITIN. ITINS are primarily issued for tax filing purposes BUT they are also issued with limited exceptions to filing a US tax return...this includes receiving a pension from the US.

If any of the following apply to you, Just Breve can assist:

- You have had 30% tax withheld on a US annuity and live in a country with a tax treaty with the US

- You have inherited a US pension but cannot receive a distribution without an ITIN

- You have a US pension from a prior job and need the ITIN as you never had an SSN

We deal with the above circumstances on a regular basis and can assist.

Several case study examples can be found here:

If you require assisting with claiming a pension, whatever the circumstances, please get in touch today:

T: 0208 1444632

We deal with many people from all walks of life as well as locations...not in the United Kingdom, we can still help.


bottom of page