top of page


News & Tips from an ITIN Acceptance Agent

Applying for an ITIN for the First Time: Tips for a Smooth Process

Just Breve - Applying for an ITIN for the First Time: Tips for a Smooth Process
Just Breve - Applying for an ITIN for the First Time: Tips for a Smooth Process

For individuals who are not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) but have US tax filing requirements, obtaining an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is essential. Whether you're a non-resident alien earning income from US sources or a dependent claimed on someone else's tax return, applying for an ITIN can seem daunting. In this article, we'll provide helpful hints and tips to guide you through the process of applying for an ITIN for the first time.


Understand Your Eligibility:

Before applying for an ITIN, it's crucial to determine your eligibility. You may be eligible for an ITIN if you:

- Are a non-resident alien required to file a US tax return.

- Are a dependent or spouse of a US citizen or resident alien.

- Have a US tax filing or reporting requirement for other reasons specified by the IRS.


Gather Required Documentation:

To apply for an ITIN, you'll need to provide certain documentation to verify your identity and foreign status. Commonly required documents include:

- Completed Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

- Original or certified copies of identification documents, such as passports or national identification cards.

- Supporting documentation to establish your eligibility for an ITIN, such as tax returns, letter from a financial institution, or other official documents.


Submit a Complete Application:

Ensure that your ITIN application is complete and accurate before submitting it to the IRS. Double-check that all required fields on Form W-7 are filled out, and include all necessary supporting documentation. Incomplete or incorrect applications may result in delays or rejection by the IRS.


Choose the Right Option:

When completing Form W-7, you'll need to select the appropriate reason for applying for an ITIN. Choose the option that best describes your situation and tax filing requirements. The IRS provides detailed instructions to help you determine the correct reason for applying for an ITIN.


Consider Using a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA):

If you're applying for an ITIN from outside the United States or prefer assistance with the application process, consider using a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA). CAAs are authorized by the IRS to help applicants complete Form W-7 and verify their identification documents, streamlining the application process and reducing the likelihood of errors.


Keep Copies of Documents:

Make copies of all documents submitted with your ITIN application for your records. This includes Form W-7, identification documents, and any supporting documentation. Keeping copies will help you track the status of your application and provide documentation if needed in the future.


Be Patient:

After submitting your ITIN application, be patient and allow time for processing by the IRS. If additional information or documentation is required, respond promptly to any requests from the IRS to avoid delays in processing.



Applying for an ITIN for the first time may seem overwhelming, but with careful preparation and attention to detail, you can navigate the process successfully. By understanding your eligibility, gathering required documentation, submitting a complete application, and considering assistance from a Certifying Acceptance Agent if needed, you can obtain your ITIN and fulfill your US tax filing requirements with confidence.

Can Just Breve help?

Yes, we can. Just Breve is a US tax accounting firm, assisting non-US persons with their US tax filing requirements, including obtaining a refund of overpaid US tax. This includes applying for a new ITIN or renewing an existing ITIN. We are a certifying acceptance agent (CAA) and have a contract with the IRS to help with Form W-7 ITIN applications.

T: 0208 1444632


bottom of page