top of page


News & Tips from an ITIN Acceptance Agent

Buying a house in USA for non residents

Just Breve - Buying a house in USA for non residents
Just Breve - Buying a house in USA for non residents

At Just Breve we receive many requests for an ITIN for buying a house in the USA for non resident purchasers.

ITINs are specifically issued for tax filing and tax reporting purposes only and not buying of US real estate or land.

There are certain circumstances where you can obtain an ITIN BUT this is AFTER the sale has been made.

An ITIN for a US mortgage for a non resident:

- Where an individual has a US mortgage and needs an ITIN - in this case the individual would need to provide a copy of the mortgage contract from the US mortgage provider. This MUST be attached to the application and will be used to obtain the number.

An ITIN for US rental income:

- rental income from a US property - where a managing agent needs the number before paying the rental income to a non resident owner. A letter will need to be attached (with specific wording) requesting the ITIN. In most case the rental agent will not pay the rent and may hold 30% tax on the rental income until received.

- US tax return (1040NR) for US rental income - the US tax return must be attached (if prepared) to the ITIN application to obtain the number.

An ITIN for a US entity holding US property:

- only an individual is eligible for an ITIN - the entity would apply for an EIN

- however, the individual can apply for an ITIN if they meet one of the exceptions to filing a US tax return or if they themselves are filing a 1040NR for US source income or can provide the relevant paperwork showing ownership in the entity/reportable income from the entity.

Contact Just Breve for more information:

Just Breve - is a US tax accounting firm, assisting non US persons with their US tax filing requirements, including obtaining a refund of overpaid US tax. This includes applying for a new ITIN or renewing an existing ITIN. We are a certifying acceptance agent (CAA) and have a contract with the IRS to help with Form W-7 ITIN applications.

T: 0208 1444632


bottom of page