top of page


News & Tips from an ITIN Acceptance Agent

Claim back US withholding tax

Just Breve - Claim back US withholding tax
Just Breve - Claim back US withholding tax

If you are a non resident of the US and have had US withholding tax withheld on US source income you more than likely will be able to claim some or all of this back from the IRS.

If you have received a US tax withholding document (1042-S or W-2 or 1099 forms) which proves US withholding tax has been held, Just Breve will be able to assist you to file a US 1040NR tax return and apply for an ITIN to claim back US withholding tax.

All payments to non residents of the US are reported on form 1042-S. Occasionally they may be reported on a 1099 (1099-INT, 1099-DIV or 1099-R or 1099-B). If you worked in the US and too much tax was withheld, you would have been issued a W-2. All of these documents, may allow you to make a partial or full reclaim of taxes paid depending on your country of residence and if a tax treaty exists.

If too much was withheld on locally paid taxes as you only worked a few days or months on the US tax year, you may also be able to make a reclaim.

How do I reclaim the tax?

You need to file Form 1040NR and add any supplemental pages AND add the tax withholding document. You may also have to apply for an ITIN number by filing Form W-7 with the application.

How long till I get my money back?

If applying for an ITIN, this will take up to 3 months AND THEN the tax return is forwarded for processing. This will take upwards of 6 months. Then a cheque is sent to you which will take 4 to 6 weeks. You then have to cash the USD cheque with your bank, which can take up to 8 weeks to clear.

The process is currently longer than normal due to ongoing Covid delays at the IRS across all units. The above are estimates (it may take longer or be quicker).

Can Just Breve assist with my 1040NR filing and tax reclaim?

Yes! we do so on a regular basis. All types of refund claims from 30% tax held on an inherited pension, to gambling winnings to share sales and capital gains via a US broker to W-2 income for work days performed in the US.

Just contact us to see if we can assist.

We deal with the full tax preparation, ITIN application (if required) and follow up with the IRS. We deal with any IRS letters / queries as well (these happen occasionally for more complex cases). Our fees are fixed and quoted before work commences.

0208 1444632


bottom of page